A spontaneous event captured for ever


Romance. Real, heartfelt romance. This is a photograph by Alfred Eisenstaedt that portrays an American sailor kissing a young nurse in a white dress on Victory over Japan Day. A spontaneous event that took place in Times Square, New York City, on August 14, 1945.
This photograph lingered in my head for a week now and it raised many questions. What happened to gentlemen and ladies? If a man were to kiss a woman he did not know in the spur of a moment, many heads would turn and question would be ask about his actions. Possibly a accusation of assault would arise. We have no more innocent moments of passion and emotion. I think we have lost a sense of adventure.

I would have loved to be part of a moment captured for ever.
I would have loved to have a poem written about me. To live forever in words of a Shakespearean sonnet.
 “I believe in pink. I believe that laughing is the best calorie burner. I believe in kissing, kissing a lot. I believe in being strong when everything seems to be going wrong. I believe that happy girls are the prettiest girls. I believe that tomorrow is another day and I believe in miracles. 
                          -Audrey Hepburn  
 I do believe that there are still gentlemen out there. That classic times of fun innocent love still exists. One day (when I grow up) I will experience this firsthand. I will experience the real deal.

Comments