AARDKLOP

I don’t actually want to write about my experience at Aardklop, because my words won’t do it justice. But I know that if I do not write about it, my thoughts about it will fade and I won’t remember what it meant to me.

At first I was a bit sceptic about going, because I’ve never been to anything like it. Looking back on the time we had there now, I can say that it was one of my year’s highlights. There were music shows that sounded everything from the classics and a tribute to the Beatles, to South Africa’s own Klopjag and Jack Parrow. Dowwe Dolla had the audience laughing non-stop. It was good to laugh about the serious things happening in our country, somehow it gave hope to an otherwise horrid political view of SA.

My favourite shows were Mafikeng Road and Ont-. Mafikeng Road (comedy) was a whirlwind through some of Herman Charles Bosman’s stories. Andrew Laubscher and Mathew Lewis performed Bosman’s stories using comic book style. I’d give anything to see it again!  Ont- was much more serious. Wessel Pretorius’ solo performance was about the journey of growing up. It was B.R.I.L.L.I.A.N.T.

Amongst the stalls that somehow manages to sell complete junk, there were a few that were so lovely that the junky stalls didn’t even matter. There was a stall that sold old, second-hand coats and parkas. I love the fact that those coats already had a history of their own. And I obviously loved it because vintage is what I do best! I also found a second-hand stall where I found old vintage hair clips that cost R5. And an old pair of braces. I’ll post photos soon!
The second-hand coat shop
My favourite shop though was the one we walked past everyday. Stunning dresses, Petter-pan collars and hats etc! But what really made this shop my number one, was the owner. She was the first person I’ve met that didn’t know me and had no connection whatsoever to me, that pointed out that the combination of what I was wearing that day was unusual but very pretty. I didn’t know what to say, except thank you. She told me about her history in fashion and told me she wants to hear from me in the future. I cant tell you how much that meant to me. 

The 'Feesterrein'
The second-hand braces I bought and I'm barefoot because I had blisters ;)
Delicious Pecan-nut Pie from 'Die Kuier Kombuis'

Comments